Hiring in healthcare is truly a balancing act. You have to understand and abide by the FCRA, state laws and EEOC Guidance like everyone else, but then you also get to add in all of the healthcare-specific hiring laws and regulations. On top of that, you still have to make sure that you’re providing the best possible candidate experience to hire the best possible employees. You need a screening partner that understands your pain points and can help you create a screening program that brings balance and fulfillment to all your needs. That’s where we come in.
Compliance is never as simple as you want it to be. Standard hiring compliance can be difficult; adding the various state and federal laws to it just ups the ante. But we’ve got you covered – we understand your unique challenges and we know how to help you.
Of all the industries GIS serves, compliance is perhaps most complex for healthcare. It varies by state, position and even type of facility. While it’s your responsibility to understand the requirements as they apply to your state, it’s our responsibility to help you understand those regulations and how to fulfill those regulations. Not only do we provide the specialized services you need, like primary source verifications on professional licenses and credentials, plus access to FACIS® and all of the debarment lists, we provide much needed assistance for these services. As part of this, we offer a one-of-a-kind regulatory update map that details (in part) compliance per state.
Just like with healthcare-specific screening laws, it’s your to understand background screening regulations as they apply to you, but it’s our job to help you understand what regulations apply to you and how, and to help you fulfill those regulations. We take this responsibility seriously. Not only do we actively search for and report on a broad range of compliance issues, we issue frequent compliance alerts that help you understand how any changes impact you. Most importantly, we offer a full complement of compliance services.
We make it easy for you to fulfill all your FCRA and state requirements, offering compliant electronic Authorization & Disclosure solutions, as well as a full Adverse Action program, complete with Individualized Assessment. We further provide forms and guides to help you maintain compliance with other hiring Guidances, like the EEOC’s.
Candidate experience is the hot topic right now, but it goes so much further than just ensuring that the candidate has a pleasant recruiting experience. To get the best employees and producers, and to get them up and running fast, you really need to minimize the burdens on the applicant throughout the entire hiring process. Each inefficiency within the process, from recruiting to onboarding, is just another opportunity to lose your best candidates.
By integrating with your chosen HRIS, GIS can simplify the background screening process. We can take whatever information the HRIS provides to us to initiate the background check, and ask your applicants to just (electronically!) fill in the gaps using our Applicant Entry Portal.
We know that time is of the essence. On average, the final report is delivered to you within 48 hours, with some searches ready instantly. What’s more, by using tools like our Applicant Entry Portal, we get required information from the applicant much quicker, meaning that we can initiate the check earlier and get it done earlier.
Every hiring process is rife with forms that must be completed – from the authorization and disclosure for the background check to the Form I-9 for onboarding. GIS provides electronic services for all of these forms, which eases the burden on the applicant and makes them more likely to complete the paperwork.
If you can think of a check, chances are that GIS does it. In addition to our standard services, GIS offers solutions specially designed for the healthcare industry.
Required Healthcare Checks
First and foremost, we offer all of the checks you’re required to run:
- Office of Inspector General (OIG) Exclusion List Check
- Food & Drug Administration (FDA) Debarment & Disqualified/Restricted/Assurances List Checks
- System for Award Management (SAM) Excluded Parties List Check
- FACIS® (Fraud & Abuse Control Information System) Search
- TRICARE Fraud & Abuse List
- DEA List of Diversion Control List
- American Medical Association Physical Profile Service Check
- NPDB (National Practitioner Data Bank) Search
- Nurses Aide Registry Check
- American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS) List Search
- PHS (Public Health Service Administration)/HHS (US Department of Health & Human Services) Search
- Federation of State Medical Boards (FMSB) Search
- Healthcare Employment Verification Network Search
- Adult Abuse Registry check
- Elderly Abuse Registry check
GIS’ credential management service helps you remain in compliance by alerting you to upcoming expired credentials and by verifying the renewed credentials. The software tracks the date of each and every credential (including licenses) and provides a systematic process for renewal/re-verification of each credential.
Every organization is different, but our most popular checks for the healthcare industry include:
- Required Healthcare Checks for compliance.
- Professional License & Certification Verifications, with primary source verification.
- Traditional criminal background checks, with electronic court interfaces covering the vast majority of the country.
- KwikScreen National Criminal Database, with more than 595 million records, from sources like the OIG Health and Human Services Exclusion List, OIG Most Wanted HealthCare Fugitives, SAM Excluded Parties List and Sex Offender Registries covering all 50 states plus Washington, D.C., Puerto Rico and Guam, with primary source verification on any hits.
- 5- to 10-panel FDA-cleared drug tests with results in as little as 5 minutes.
- Motor Vehicle Records (MVRs) and ongoing driver monitoring to ensure that anyone driving a vehicle for your organization is safely able to do so.
- FCRA services, including Adverse Action and Individualized Assessment.
In addition, many GIS clients find value in:
- Tax Credit services to help you earn millions of dollars in credits (actual GIS results from actual GIS clients).
- Electronic I-9 and E-Verify services to help you remain in compliance while decreasing the paperwork burden on all of your employees.
- Health and wellness services for physicals, vaccinations and more.
FACIS® is a licensed trademark of Verisys Corporation.